Re: [T3] thermostat adventures

On 23 Jul 2002, at 18:27, Greg Merritt wrote:

> 	So, now I've read the Bentley and the Haynes procedures for
> adjusting the thermostat.  Neither description is terribly
> satisfying, but the take-home message seems to be that they should
> close with a 1-2mm gap, and should open fully when the thermostat has
> expanded.  I think I'll start with the thermostat screwed just about
> all the way onto its rod, then work with my two adjustments -- the
> bracket position and the relay lever clamp screw -- to make sure that
> I match the hot and cold requirements.

release the bottom bolt of the thermostat and let the spring pull it up against
the top of its mounting frame. In that position, the flap should be parallel to
the airflow. When you bolt the thermostat back down it should pull the flap
closed, but not so much that it binds.

A lot of this depends on how good the thermostat is, as they tend ot give
reduced travel as they get older. Maybe I should replace them more often....

> 	Say -- my spring looked to be mounted a little funny on the
> lever assembly.  Just where and how should it attach at that end?

Chapter 3, page 15, figure 9-8. This is not quite clear until you have the parts
in front of you. I like to soak the spring in LPS-3 to retard the rust rate.