Re: [T3] Which Distributor to use?

On 22 Jul 2002, at 23:05, Steven Ayres wrote:

> Test the total advance on the FI distributor. At more than about 30 degrees, I'd
> be concerned. As I understand it the FI brain dumps more fuel at full advance to
> add power and cooling. (Am I right about that, Jim?) The carbs can't.

The FI brain has no way to sense advance, but the later systems do have a
full load enrichment contact in the throttle valve switch which give more gas
at full throttle. Unfortunately these are not quite the same thing.

I think the max advance of any of the FI dists is ~30 degrees, so I think they
are generally great choices, but the 73 one actually has a bit less advance.
Don't worry about the extra advance that you get with the vacuum can, as
your engine can tolerate lots more advance when it is lightly loaded, which is
when the vacuum cans are active on all the dual advance dists I am familiar
with.

-
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org