Re: [T3] Bent Tie Rod (was [T3] Early tie rod end)

On 19 Jul 2002, at 17:39, The Canadian wrote:

> Now that I have them installed I have
> found that tthe long tie rod is somewhat bent.  When twisting it to do the
> alignment there is a noticeable bend just before the tie rod end.  When
> rotating the rod the tie rod end at the wheel fluctuates up and down maybe
> as much as 1" (total) through the range of the rotation.
>
> How bent is too bent?

A lot will depend on the kind of roads and driving you do, but I'd say that this
tie rod should be replaced. VW says not to straighten them, and I suppose
that it's possible that this is because of some work-hardening or fatiguing
problem. I suspect that is is just because you can't ever get them perfectly
straight again, and this long narrow tube will never again have the axial
strength that it originally had.

It should not be too hard to find a good used replacement.

I tried to check the microfilm to see if the center bars changed in 68, but I
can't tell, because VW never sold the center bars alone. If they are the same
I have good used late ones here. I measured the threads on some late tie rod
ends, and they are 14mm threads. If your early ones are also 14mm, then
the center rods are the same.