Re: [T3] Oil

On Fri, 2002-07-19 at 09:30, ICBM Webmaster wrote:
> You should have a full flow oil filter installed before you go synthetic.
> Synths have extremely good detergents that keep the engine clean, far better
> than conventional oils, so you have to have something to properly collect
> this stuff and the stock screen 'filter' is woefully inadequate!
> Don't use blends, they're a waste of money.  Go full, pure synthetic or
> conventional.  Synthetics work with conventional oil just fine if you get
> stuck and need oil (that's what blends are anyway, synth & conv.).
> Now, there's big debate regarding the ability of a synth. to help keep the
> engine cool like a conv. oil.  I've heard/seen evidence go either way.  I've
> heard nothing conclusive about it in air-cooled engines.  Remember, today's
> oils are leaps and bounds ahead of oils in the past so don't go reading
> something from 1978 and call it gospel :)
> One thing is for sure, synth will free up hp and help boost mileage.  Going
> from conv. oil to pure synth in my Jetta (engine AND tranny) upped my hp an
> average of 5hp and 2-3mpg -- this is NOT uncommon!  Synths have such good
> anti-friction properties that you are not supposed to break-in an engine
> with it.  You put in synth oil AFTER the engine has been broken-in.
> Should you use it?  That's up to you but only if you have a full flow oil
> filter, otherwise stick with conventional.
> More info:
> http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/mult_gas_and_oil/mult_synthetic_faq.htm
> and this one is good:
> http://www.fernblatt.com/longhurst/engineoil_bible.html
> --

Hmmmmm, I am using synthetic oil in all my cars. Neither VW has a full
flow filter. I have been using synthetic oil in hard working air cooled
for the last 10 years. Briggs & Stratton recommends it for their engines
for severe conditions, and most of theirs do not have filters.
http://www.briggsandstratton.com/MainSite.asp?CategoryID=7&lrID=1&ParentID=7&MSCSSID=1234&MB=&EPAGE=/main/RealBriggs/WebSite/NA/EN/support_maintenance/maintenance/oil_type.mb&l=0

Sorry about the line wrap.

--
Russ Wolfe