Re: [T3] '73 Distributor and Jim Adney

On 18 Jul 2002, at 8:38, Doug Brashear wrote:

>  I haven't yet checked to see that the dist is actually making full advance,
> but that's on my list.

> Jim, are you still on the list?  A while back you said you offer a
> distributor rebuilding service...more than that, I need someone to check out
> my dist. on their car/engine to see if that causes the problems...and if so,
> to rebuild the dist.

I still do that and the price is $55, plus any expensive parts that might be
needed, althought that is the exception, not the rule. Right now I'm way
overbooked on my "To do" list, but I should be in better shape after Parma
and with my daughter back to college.

I don't actually run the distributors that I rebuild, but there are 2 things you
can do to test them to see if it needs work:

Put a hose on the vacuum port and watch the breaker plate while you suck
on the hose. If should rotate smoothly and return quickly and smoothly when
you let go of the hose.

Grab the rotor and twist it CW. It should turn about 15 degrees without any
feeling of grittyness or sticking and snap back on its own when released.
Note that you will also feel some free play in the drive gear which you should
ignore.

-
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org