[T3] Shifter thread solution.

I would pull the shifter and bring it in to the hardware store.   I believe
there are at least two different thread patterns on stock VW shifters.
Then you can put some Vaseline on the threads of the bolt and mix up some
epoxy to cover the bolt with. You can make any type of shifter head you
want!   I am doing something similar to replace the heater/fresh air control
arm knobs between the front seats.

Johnny Sprada
www.aircooledkings.com