Re: [T3] Opinions on chemical paint removers?

In a message dated 7/14/02 10:05:41 AM Central Daylight Time, comwest@att.net
writes:

<< Subj:     Re: [T3] Opinions on chemical paint removers?
 Date:  7/14/02 10:05:41 AM Central Daylight Time
 From:  comwest@att.net (Steven Ayres)
 Sender:    type3@vwtype3.org
 To:    type3@vwtype3.org

 BrianP=> Can anyone give me the pros and cons
 => of chemical paint removers?

 The aircraft-grade products work pretty well. Buy from a pro paint-supply
 shop. Follow directions faithfully, and don't neglect the protective gear.
 Paint apllied by previous owners will come off easily; OEM paint is much
 tougher, that's how you'll know you're near the bottom of the job.

 Steven Ayres, Prescott AZ
 '66 KG1600

Aircraft Remover is the brand name of the product I have used. It will remove
paint and bondo from any painted surface. You pour it on and use a paint
brush to put it on all surfaces. You let it set for 30 minutes or so and
scrape it off with a putty knife.

It's good stuff. But watch out for under-application. You should see it
bubble up the paint while you work with it. You should use rubber gloves when
you use Aircraft Remover.  If you get any on your hands, be sure to wash it
off promptly. On the can it tells you that it is not recommended for the
squeamish.

For small jobs, you will be better off just sand blasting or sanding down to
bare metal
as you go. Aircraft Remover doesn't remove every speck of the paint. But it
does remove almost all of the paint so that you get the effect almost of
sanding down to bare metal.

I have bought Aircraft Remover at a specialty shop such as English Color,
Inc. But I recently saw it for sale cheaper at O'rielly's Auto parts, a
cheapo auto parts store like
Western Auto.

Don Garies
dgaries808@aol.com