[T3] What's the cylinder/spring/bracket unit for?

My '72 fastback has a mysterious part that I need help identifying.

My bentley's doesn't describe or even show what this unit is.  It's a
round diaphram with a rod protruding towards the front of the car, and
connected by a bracket/spring/locknut combo to the front of the intake
air distributor.  The rod seem to push against a small metal plate that
is, in turn, connected to a cable that loosens when the plate is pushed.

This unit seems to fall out of the connecting bracket frequently.  What
kinds of effects might that cause?

Thanks,
wade