Re: [T3] Thermostat / Flaps?

On 11 Jul 2002, at 15:34, Ben Doughney wrote:

> While I had the generator off I had a look down the hole but I couldn't see or
> feel any cooling flaps in there. Are they where the cast fan housing meets the
> cylinder shrouds? Also, I noticed it is missing the thermostat and rod, are
> these the same as bug ones?

Except for the thermostat itself and its mounting bracket, all the parts are
unique to type 3s. If you stick your finger down the get cooling hole and fee
FORWARD, you should encounter the cooling flap and the rod that rotates it
in and out of the way. This rod is about 8mm dia and runs transversely
across the front of the fan housing; you should be able to see it just behind
the distributor, among other places.

There are some pretty good pictures of these parts in the Bentley manual.

-
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org
Madison, WI 53711-3054