Re: [T3] Coil and wires (Was I definitely hate FI)

On 9 Jul 2002, at 14:30, type3 wrote:

> Do you guys recommend only Bosch for the coil and spark plug wires? Or can I use
> an Echlin coil and other wires, Belden?

I have found that few coils are of better quality than an OE Bosch coil, but
most anything will work, at least for awhile. The Bosch will last forever, or at
least until someone decides that it needs to be replaced by something
"better" which may fail in a year or two.

I love Belden wire, but this may have something to do with the fact that they
are located in my home town. The tour of their plant that we got in ~8th
grade was one of the most interesting places I have ever seen. Still, I think
that the quality of Belden wire is second to none.

OTOH, I just buy cheap SP wire and use the OE VW Bosch ends. There is
NO better SP wire set for your type 3 than the OE parts on decent quality
wire. Don't ever throw out your OE ends, especially the special right angle
distributor ends.

>  Also, I tested my coil again yesterday.  What are the definite signs of a
> problem.  I get an orange spark, when I turn over the engine by hand or with the
> starter.  Is this enough spark to rule out the coil from my equation?

Coils can fail, but they don't get "weak." If it still puts out a spark all the time
then it is as good as it ever was. I think the color has much more to do with
the electrode material and the dirt/oil on its surface than anything else. It IS
possible to judge the voltage by the gap it will span, but this is extremely
dependent on the electrode geometry, too.

-
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org
Madison, WI 53711-3054