[T3] safe testing

<x-charset iso-8859-1>This is a bit of a two parter...
What is the correct way to test &/or free up a FI fuel pump? IIRC, you connect it to a couple of coffee cans w/a bit of gas, tapping on the body of the pump untill it runs free. Right? I know it would be more comfortable to do this on the work bench, but are there any advantages to leaving it in the car? Do I need the relay, or will just a battery or charger do the trick w/the proper connectors? I know for a fact the pump from my '73 Fasty is seized- that's why it hasn't been started in 11 years. My '71 Square has other electrical issues, so it's hard to say, which brings me to part 2
On a MT/FI car, is it safe to crank the starter if the engine is out? I have devised a clever way to keep any wires from the engine harness from touching-this would also make them easy to test in the future. I want to sort out as many electrical issues as I can before I put an engine in. More on that later.

TIA,
EricH. the lurker
'73 Fasty
'71 Square