Re: [T3] Sophy's New Heart

>> I also have a bit of an oil leak.  Looks like it is from the main seal, but not
>> sure why.  It is a new seal.  Will have to drop the engine and check it out.
>
>Could be the seal if the flywheel was dry and it burned the seal before the oil
>got to it on the first startup. I always put some oil or grease on the nose of
>the flywheel when installing it, so that there is lubrication there right from the
>start. The leak could also be the cam tunnel plug, which would be much
>worse news.

I can say with confidence that it is not the cam plug that is leaking.  Why?
 Because I can look up into the rear of the engine and see the cam plug.  I
used the case from my 71 Fasty which has an automatic.  Thus it has the
cut-out in the case. <G>  Nice feature.

It could be the main seal.....I am sure I forgot to lube it before putting
it in.....I forgot it all together the first time I put the flywheel on.
Oops. <G>  I will have to get another one and try it.  I am also not
convinced yet whether or not I need the o-ring in there.  There is a small
step cut in the end of the flywheel stub, but when i put the o-ring in to
this space it seems too big.  I can get it to sit there but it is under
compression.  Also it seemed to get pinched a bit when I put the flywheel on
the first time.  I also don't feel any endplay with the o-ring in
there.....I am assuming that it is compressed axially as well as radially.
yes?

Engine will probably come out tomorrow to be checked.

Later,
John Jaranson
'71 FI AT Fasty (Jane)
'66 Square (Sophy)