From: "Peter Legault" <one-pioneer@cox.net>
To: <type3@vwtype3.org>
Subject: Re: [T3] Automatic Rough Shifting
Date: Sat, 6 Jul 2002 13:01:38 -0500

Jason

I have the same problem. I have changed the VM in my 73 square to try and
correct this problem. It did not make any difference. I also tried adjusting
the VM only to find it does it at higher or lower RPM.
I had posted this problem here before and I think Russ had suggested it
might be the bands need adjusting. I have not as yet done this as it is near
impossible (I understand) without removing the X-mission.
I have learned so far to live with it and I have developed a habit of kind
of letting off on the fuel a tad just before it shifts. Otherwise like you
mentioned if you are accelerating hard from take off it seems to shift
smoothly.
Cheers

Peter Legault
1973 Square (the Putz)

<<I will try replacing the Vacuum ahh "Modulator" that's what its called, when I replace the pan gasket.

<<There is probably no need to replace it. Try adjusting the one you have.
1/2 turn CW should bring the shift point up a bit, and that may be what you
need. If it is bent, it probably won't work right, but you can try
straightening it by hand. If you need to, you can replace it with the sump
full, but you'll want to work quickly.>>>