[T3] I definitely hate FI!

<x-charset iso-8859-1>    I was motoring happily along for the last few weeks after months of
wrestling with the FI Demon.  Then wham! I get hit by the mysterious, no
start.  Just as I was encouraging Mike in his FI plight, I'm out sweating my
Arse off trying to figure it out.
    Here is what happened:  Everything has been running fine for weeks.
Then on the way home from work, sputter sputter die!  I get out and make
sure all connections are good and finally get it started.  Running but
sounding like just one minute away from total breakdown.  I make it home
with little incident, the occasional cough and sputter during highway
driving.
    The next morning I was going to take it on my ritual morning drive, but
again sputter sputter run sputter etc. So I take it home and decide to drain
the gas and replace the filter and one of the lines that does not seem quite
right.  All done. I put some clean gas in and then drive and fill her up.
Still that slight sputtering and not quite smooth.  I then remove the FI
grounds and clean them really good and their connectors.  I tighten one of
the injectors that has been giving me problems.  Ok starts up runs ok.  I
take it around the block aok. Then for a longer drive about 3 blocks.
Sputtering and stalling.  I barely make it back home.
    I check spark, timing, dwell, voltage, fuel pressure all good.  I
finally get it started and it seems fine, take it around the block.  I leave
it for a few hours.  I then decided to road test it that night.  I drive
about 15 miles round trip stopping half way for about 20min and have no
problem at all. No sputtering nothing.
    Fastforward to this morning.  I start the car up no problem.  Back out
of the drive way and she sputters to a stop.  No start, just turns over.  If
it does start it immediately dies.   I do every test and check every contact
I can find.  Now it is no start at all.  I was out there from 6:00am to
2:00pm.  And I can't get it to start at all.
    Now, Jim A., this is where our discussion about the head temp sensor
comes in.  I was under the impression that you could ground the wire that
comes out of the single connector and by pass the temp sensor.   Is this
correct.  Keith?
    I tested my temp sensor and it read about 60ohms on the Rx1 scale, which
would be fine for a hot engine but this one is stone cold. Also, with the
ignition on and the sensor connected the voltage was 4 and I think it should
be 7 -8 cold and 2-3 hot.  So it is definitely not working properly.
However, both the voltage and ohm test give readings that should still work,
right? Anyway, I'm going to buy one tomorrow and replacing it just to be
safe.  Ok how do I get it out if I do not have a special tool?
    Man just when I thought it was safe.  I was going to take her to the
body shop on Saturday to get an estimate on some needed repairs, but now its
back to fudging with the FI ;(
    Anyway, Thanks for letting me vent.
Jason Smith
72' Fastback FI (piece of...)  AT