Re: [T3] My Squareback & I need some help

On 5 Jul 2002, at 15:11, jayne jackson wrote:

> I bought Miss Kittie, she's a 1973 Squareback FI, two months ago.  Love at
> first site.   So, I cleaned all the connections I could get to.  She
> purred.  She was a teenager again romping through the streets.  For 30 miles.
> Two miles from home she starts missing and coughing and reaching for her walker.
>  This moring she sputtered and farted for three blocks.  Is this a condensor
> issue?  Coil?

"Everyone replaces the plugs, points, condensor when they first get a car,
but these things seldom need replacing, they just happent to be the things
that people think of. I like to clean things too, but it seldom helps anything,
other than getting familiar with the car.

This could be any number of things, but you have to start by checking all the
standard adjustments: dwell, timing, valve adj. Then I would look for a loose
connection somewhere. It can be hard to pin down, but here are some
possibilities: dirt in the trigger points, loose connectors on the injectors,
loose main power relay (intermittent ground), bad fuel pump relay (goes
resistive), water/dirt in the gas tank.

Do you have a Bentley manual? Are you located close to someone else on
the list who might be able to lend a hand?

-
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org
Madison, WI 53711-3054