Re: [T3] oil viscosities: was starting problem

On 2 Jul 2002, at 14:52, Y and C Everhart wrote:

> Jim, do you think that 20W-50 is too thick?  While I was stationed in Ohio,
> I used straight 30, but here in Arizona it seems that 20W-50 is the best.
> It is recommended in the owners manual for weather similar to what we
> experience.  I hope I haven't hurt my cars using that oil!

I doubt you've hurt anything. It's just that the pressure our gauges measure is
really almost irrelevant. The important pressure is depends on what happens
in the journals and is only dependent on there being a supply of oil at SOME
pressure.

I'm afraid that people tend to buy oil for the highest temps they expect to
encounter and then forget about all those early morning starts when it's 60F
out (I'm trying to name a temp that you Arizona boys would find chilly. ;-)
Most of use live in areas where the oil has to last thru a season where the
temp varies at least 60 degrees, so we need to consider the whole span.

There was an afternoon here 20 years ago, when the temp dropped about 75
degrees in ~4 hours. I rode my bike in to work on a warm morning wearing
shorts, and got a ride home that night because it was snowing.