Re: [T3] they can run well, Right?

<x-flowed>>From: Jim Adney <jadney@vwtype3.org>
To: <type3@vwtype3.org>
Subject: Re: [T3] they can run well, Right?
Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2002 15:33:24 -0600

On 30 Jun 2002, at 6:15, Jacob Hoffman wrote:

Yes, they CAN run well.

The question is WHY is it running rich. Here are 2 things to check:

1) Measure the battery voltage after warming the engine up, at med RPM. It
should be 14.1-14.4V. If it is below 13.5V replace the voltage regulator with a
genuine Bosch voltage regulator. Low system voltage makes the FI run rich.

It is a new genuine voltage regulator (the old one failed) and it does run around 14 volts at med rpm.

2) Get in the car and turn the key ON (don't start.) You should hear a relay
click and then about 1 second later you should hear a second click. Do you
hear BOTH clicks,

I do hear both clicks. The relay is working fine.

Don't try to "fix" things by mixing in parts from other years.

yeah. I didn't leave it there, I was just mentioning that it was something I tried. :)

Are you sure this is the AT drive plate that is failing?

Yeah, unfortunately last month the exact same thing happened, and I thought it was a broken rod bearing or a main bearing or something very bad internally. Turns out it was just the rivets that hold the flexplate together had become loose. (wish we had noticed BEFORE pulling the heads and cylinders off) For lack of an easily attainable replacement, my dad and I pulled a shade-tree mechanic move and just welded each of the rivets. It held for about a month, and now it's back. I figure I'll have to find a replacement, or figure out a way to weld a clutch tube in and covert to manual. Seeing as how parma is next month, I'll probably just have to find a suitable replacement.

Jacob
'71 FI AT Square