Re: [T3] New listee, new T3

On 1 Jul 2002, at 12:59, incynr8 wrote:

> The details of the car are as follows: I won it at an
> estate auction, being owned by a flowershops owner's wife, a teacher who
> unfort passed away far too early due to MS. The car sat a bit, but was
> driven some and kept in PA inspection until 1991, when the eldery
> husband began to neglect it, left in the garage. It has 309xxmiles, and
> is in original shape (unfort I must work some on the front fenders),
> down to toolkit and owners manual. The motor is a seemingly unmolested
> 1.6FI, without AC.

> Being more familiar with the T1 upright, and carburation, I was hoping
> the list could give light to resurrecting this car. My current plans
> were as follows. 1) Drain gas 2) disable fuel pump DC connections 3)
> remove plugs and squire oil into cyls 4) change old oil cold. 5) let sit
> and attempt to hand crank motor, many times if successful) 6) replace
> all lines with FI rated 7mm hoses. I assume I should look for injector
> seals as well 7) go over electrical and the usual tuning parts 8)
> reattach fuel pump (please insert any cleaning or smart moves here, such
> as oiling or whatnot, I don't want to burn an old expensive pump with
> ignorance. 9) Attempt to run motor. 10) then fix the ususal stuff, like
> brakes.....

I'd push the car out into the open, away from buildings and fire sources.
Change the oil and try to start it. Look for gas leaks, which are almost
certainly going to be common. Replace leaky hose with 5/16" standard fuel
line, the type 3 FI is not high enough pressure to warrant the special FI fuel
hose, and the 7mm hose is too small and will fail rather quickly where it has
to be pushed over the larger fittings. 8mm (= 5/16") is a perfect match to the
fittings.

If you like, you can spray oil in the cylinders first and turn it over by hand or
by the starter.

You won't damage the pump by running it, but it is likely that it is gummed
up with old dried gas which will keep it from actually running. If you can
actually HEAR it running that is a very good thing.

Once you get it running, you should get it warmed up and then shut down
and change the oil again.

When it has cooled down check and adjust the valves.

Let us know how it goes.

-
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org