Re: [T3] type 4 brain or type 3?

<x-charset iso-8859-1>> Alrighty..  here in my lap is the brain out of our 74 type 4    412.  The
> part # on it is 022 906 021 E
>
> Now, since the previous owner had for some strange reason replaced the
type
> 4 F.I. system with a type 3 of unknown vintage (this is verified)  I need
> know if this is the type 3 or correct type 4 brain...
> Obviously, if it is the type 4, we will keep it, since it works just
> fine.

Hi Micah,
It's a Type 4 brain.  VW part number starting with 022 is used for Type 4.
Type 3 starts 311.
Let's see if I can give you a list of correct Type 4 injection parts for
yours:-

brain 022 906 021E (from Aug 71)
pressure sensor 022 906 051E (from May 72)
throttle valve switch 022 906 111B (from Aug 71)
cold starting valve 022 906 171A

There's lots of clamps, pipes etc that are 022 parts, but the other
injection components are 311 numbers, including pump, injectors, temperature
sensors, fuel pressure regulator etc.

If you want specific details or part numbers, I've a Type 4 parts book so I
can look up the answers.

Dave.
UK VW Type 3 & 4 Club
http://www.hallvw.clara.co.uk/