Re: [T3] Generator question

On 31 Jan 2002, at 18:59, Daniel Baum wrote:

> My 1969 Type 34 automatic has a generator with part number 311 903 031J.
>
> Could I install one with PN 311 903 031F instead? Does anyone know what the
> difference is, and whether they are interchangeable?

I think there were 3 different 12V generators. The 67-9 (or maybe it was 67-8)
one had plug-on (spade) connectors. These sometimes gave trouble because
the output connector sometimes failed as it wasn't really reliable up to 30
amps, even though it was a 3/8" spade.

The later generators use threaded stud terminals and these are fine. You can
swap any of these as long as you put in a generator that has the right
terminals for your car. If your 69 has been changed from spade to stud, I'd
keep it that way.

Other than the connections, they have identical ratings and are completely
interchangable.

Why are you considering changing? They seldom fail except for minor, easily
fixed things like brushes and bearings.

-
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org