Re: [T3]Greasing rear wheels, installed greasers

On 28 Jan 2002, at 20:40, Martinez, Leon wrote:

> I decided to install greasers in the assembly by drilling, tapping and
> placing the greaser nipples. Before I installed the bearings back, I worked
> the grease into the needles and ball bearings. After I put everything
> together I pumped grease into the assembly with a grease gun until it got a
> little hard to pump, this way, positive pressure is inside the housing,
> pushing, so the moisture will not enter if the wheels happen to be under
> water. Funny, no grease oozed out at all out of the seals, good seals.

I'm concerned that you now have too much grease in there. Rolling bearings
require free space for the rolling elements to move in. In normal operation the
balls or rollers "channel" the grease and this reduces the viscous friction that
would otherwise occur. Filling the bearing's internal spaces completely can
lead to bearing failure. See "The Machinery's Handbook" for a more complete
explanation of this, as well as an explanation of what grease is and how it
lubricates.

-
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org