RE: [T3] generator or battery (GO OPTIMA!)

<x-charset ISO-8859-1>Ooh, yeah, I would say at that age and having been drained, get a new one.
I HIGHLY recommend you go to G.I.JOES and buy the Optima Red Top.  Totally
sealed, small, at least 200CCA (if not more) better than any conventional
battery you can squeeze under the seat!

I have a yellow top in my baby but since I don't drive her in the winter,
let's move over to my Jetta since she's a daily driver.  I have the red top
in her.  The previous, standard battery had a leak around the positive
terminal and it ALWAYS has the pretty green and white corrosion plants
growing on both terminals.  I finally ponied up the $99 and removed the old
battery and put in the Optima.  Wow.  I have a smaller battery with over
600CCA (the old one had about 450CCA).  The battery is in the stock
location, which is the left front area of the engine bay, behind the
headlight.  It gets exposed to the weather -- it's not in a nice-n-cozy spot
like our air-coolers :)  The clamps and terminals are still shiny after two
months of use!!  You know, if they had used these batteries originally we
would never had to have worried about rust in the battery compartment (and
there'd probably be just a few more Porsche 914's on the road).

Note:  Before you toss your old battery, check that the stock battery leads
will reach!  Due to the location of the terminals I had to use an extension
for the ground wire.  Optima does make batteries with the terminals on top
or the face and either -/+ or +/- (batteries are made with the location of
the terminals on the other side).

   Toby Erkson
   air_cooled_nut@pobox.com
   '95 VW Jetta III GL 2.0L, P-Chip, Jamex sport suspension, 2.25"
MagnaFlow exhaust
   Portland, Oregon, http://www.icbm.org/