Re: [T3] generator or battery

On 27 Jan 2002, at 0:11, Ginger D.&Peter P. wrote:

> Would a type 3 run with a nearly dead battery?  Two weeks ago Maddy
> and I left the radio on for the weekend and killed the battery.  I
> jumped started it monday morning and it hasn't had any trouble
> starting since.  However, I noticed at idle my headlights dim when the
> turn signals flash.  Tonight it's below freezing and I added wipers
> and rear brake lights to the mix and the blinkers pretty much stopped,
> and the wiper motor bogged down.  I'm going to test the generator for
> voltage at medium RPM.  How should I test the battery?

Starting the car on the battery proves that it is okay. There is no really good
way to test how long it will stay that way. If you're worried, put a charger on
the battery, set to slow charge, and leave it on overnight. A long slow charge
is MUCH better than a fast quick charge.

It is normal for these things to dim at idle, because the generator doesn't put
out at low RPM, but a charging system check is always a good thing to do.

Do you have my charging system FAQ?