Re:[T3] Brakes

 >So my brakes on the right hand side are too tight. Either the caliper is
>stuck or there's something wrong with the flex hose or bleeder valve.
>My left wheel rotates freely. Moderate friction on the right one.
>
>I turned the bleeder valve on both sides: on the left, the brake fluid
>started immediately flowing freely. On the right, it flowed, but slower.
>More like a steady trickle.
>
>So the question is: what's the next step? I imagine I've been driving this
>way for some time. I noticed it in the summer when I changed the brake
>shoes, but the disk isn't bad off. Who knows how long it's been going on.
>
>If I have to fix the hose, which looks good from the outside by the way, I
>presume that means I'll need to bleed the brakes. Which would turn this into
>a weekend job, probably.
>
>Please advise.
>
>--
>Mike Wodkowski

             ..........Mike, try gently inserting a
screwdriver between your brake pads and the rotor.
"Gently" try prying the caliper's cylinder back into
it's bore. If it will not move, or moves with great
difficulty, either your caliper piston is sticky or
your brake hose collapsed internally. They can still
look great on the outside, but the lining can be
collapsed. To see which it is, take a piece of neoprene
line, attatch it over the head of your bleeder valve (
make sure your valve is clear of obstruction) and into
a jar of brake fluid as to not let much or any air into
your system. Then crack the bleeder slightly and again
try prying your caliper piston back into it's bore. If
this time it is very noticably easier, your brake line
is obstructed or collapsed. If it isn't any easier,
then your caliper itself may be suspect. In that case,
see my earlier comments about having your original
calipers rebuilt.
Marc
1967 Fastback

Sign up today at http://mail.lycos.com