Re: [T3] Still having carb problems

<x-charset iso-8859-1>Steve Ayres wrote:

=> I think this was because the
=> carb for 1&2 had a sticking needle valve
=> which was causing them to run very
=> rich and so too cool and as they control
=> the cooling flaps, 3&4 were
=> overheating ...

>This seems unlikely in the extreme if 1&2 were firing at all. There are
>several ways for heads to come loose, most related to assembly error.

Distinct possibility, but it wasn't loose when I first got the car and 3&4
were definitely getting VERY hot (feel the radiant heat) at startup. I drove
the car on short journeys for about a month and a half before the head came
loose- it had been standing at least 18 mths before I bought it.

=> I want to check the fuel level in the carbs.

>The fuel level is set by the thick (about 1.2mm if I recall right) fiber
>washer under the needle valve. No washer or a thin washer and your level is
>too high. Be sure that the float is not leaking. Other than that there *is*
>no adjustment. Don't try bending the float arm, whatever you do, you'll
just
>mess it up.

I'm not sure of the quality of my replacement valves. Originally the valves
in my carbs had alu washers- replacements fibre though. The floats didn't
have liquid in them when I took the carbs apart. Don't worry, the Haynes
manual is pretty explicit about not bending anything. I just want to
eliminate this possibility from my list.

=> get the throttle shafts re-bushed,

>If they need this, it's the most likely source of your misfire. What seems
>like a tiny leak here will seriously affect performance, I guarantee. Have
>you tried tracing the misfire to a specific cylinder or side? (You can use
>strobe for this.) Try the carb-cleaner test -- with the engine running,
>spray around the butterfly assembly. If the engine stumbles, you've found
>your leak.

I was hoping they didn't need it but there was slop in both- worst on R. As
it doesn't cost much I'll get it done anyway and hope it will cure all.
Problem is I will have to ride my bicycle while its happening and its cold,
wet and very windy at the moment ¦-(  I believe it to be the R side- I tried
squirting WD40 at the carbs but didn't notice any change- I chickened out
quick though- its very flammable you know and so is the case apparently- is
it true they spontaneously combust?!? ;-)

>Some things you may have already eliminated or even written about here, but
>humor me -- what fuel pump are you running? Is your balance tube present
and
>in good shape? What distributor, and what condition is it in?

Fuel pump is brand spanking new el-cheapo Mexican T1 with nasty looking
short push rod- replaced original (which was probably fine ) because I
suspected it of leaking fuel into my oil- turns out I think that it was the
very rich running 1&2 that diluted it.Balance tube seems fine- I replaced
the bits of rubber tube. Dist seems OK apart from not being in correct
orientation and is a 311 part no. Points are new Bosch and gapped correctly.

>Once again, and not for Mark specifically, I'll add my carb rant -- the
>difference between a set of PDSITs just running and running right is huge
in
>terms of performance and very subtle in terms of setup. If you can find a
>guy who *really knows* to help you get them set up and show you how to keep
>them that way, you'll be way ahead. This is arcane knowledge and not as
>simple as it looks.

When I bought my Fastback, one of the deciding factors was that the
legendary Jay had a workshop just round the corner from my work in Deptford.
Unfortunately as soon as I needed his advice, he had upped and left
(retired), leaving no trace but a rumour that he was living somewhere near
Brands Hatch. Haven't found him yet. I will have to learn the black art
myself through patience and trial and error (and of course THE List)

Thanks a lot guys for all the ideas, still in the dark but sure there must
be a light close by.

Mark Seaton

Orange '73 1600TA London

</x-charset>