[T3] How strong is the 003 automatic?

I have been looking around and talking to different people, and I seem
to be getting lots of crossed stories. Some people say that it is
really, really strong and just when I think that I will be ok pairing it
up with a 914 2.0, then I hear the opposite- that the clutch bands are
really weak. So what's the scoop? Who here has paired a larger motor
with the automatic? Also, has anyone ever heard of a taller final drive
on the 003 than what the automatic type 3's had? Are there any things
that people have done to mod the tranny? I know that it has been asked
before where I could go around to get the tranny rebuilt, but I cant
find the email? I have contacted rancho, aatransaxle, and some place in
las vegas that claimed to know how to rebuild these-although when I
asked they had no clue what I was talking about. Whatever help you can
give, I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks,
Charles