Re: [T3] Hand brake lever installation

<x-charset iso-8859-1>Hi Jim (and all),

I may take you up on that, but in the meantime I can use my original lever,
and I would like to try to find out what kind of button I have. It has
"castellations" around the bottom, so that it is wider at the end with the
thread than at the other end. It will fit if you put it in the wrong way,
and then the castellations prevent it going all the way in. It seems like if
you could remove the plastic grip from the lever, you could then install the
button and replace the grip over it, and the grip would help keep the button
in, as well as the thread. Is the grip removable?

All the other internals of the old lever, the ratched, rod etc. seem to fit
OK so the only problem is the button.

Daniel Baum.

> On 25 Jan 2002, at 16:59, Daniel Baum wrote:
>
> > The problem is that the button is too wide to fit into the end hole of
the
> > plastic grip. There are a couple of unknown factors here: I don't know
> > whether the old lever originally had the plastic grip and I don't know
> > whether my button is the original one from my old lever. I assume, based
on
> > the info in Dave's message, that I have the wrong button. I don't know
> > whether I have the wrong rod too, or even if there are two (or more)
> > different types. The button screws easily onto the rod.
>
> Dave's comment that the button should be longer came as a surprise to me,
> but it's completely reasonable. I still don't understand why it would not
fit thru
> the grip, however. I would expect them to be exactly the same OD, but that
> may (must have?) changed also.
>
> > Jim, yes it is definitely a Type 3 part. The PN is 311 711 327. Yes it
does
> > have the white point. My old lever is absolutely identical, but minus
the
> > plastic grip. The grip ends diagonally, it is longer at the bottom than
the
> > top, and it looks identical to those I have seen in pictures of the Type
34.
> > I assumed - apparently wrongly - that I would be able to transfer the
rod
> > and button from one to the other.
>
> I would say that the best option might be to just find a whole intact type
3
> lever assembly. Where are you? I certainly have these....
>
> -
> Jim Adney
> jadney@vwtype3.org
> Madison, WI 53711-3054