Re: [T3] Hand brake lever installation

<x-charset iso-8859-1>There is one more unknown: I don't know whether my old lever, the one I got
with the car, is the original one from the car. Is it possible that some
time during the car's miserable life the original was exchanged for a Type 1
lever? How would I tell the difference between a Type 3 lever that has lost
its plastic grip, and a Type 1 lever?

Regards,

Daniel Baum
'69 Type 34 automatic

> On 25 Jan 2002, at 11:31, Daniel Baum wrote:
>
> > I am installing a new handbrake lever in my 1969 Type 34. to replace the
> > rather messy one that the car came with.
> >
> > I followed Bentley and Haynes, and everything seemed pretty easy for a
> > change, when I came up against the usual unexpected problem. The button
from
> > the old one won't fit the new one. They two levers are completely
identical,
> > except that the new one has the plastic grip on the end. The old one
looks
> > like it had it once but lost it. Do I have to remove the grip to put the
> > button in, or do I have the wrong button?
>
> I've never seen a problem here. The button should be black. Even with the
> grip in place, the button normally slips in and out without interference.
> thought the ID of the handle tube and the end of the grip were the same.
> Does this grip have a small white plastic piece which locks it in place to
the
> handle? It should; it's on the underside, toward the pivot.
>
> The thumb end of the grip on a 69 should be "cut" at a bevel, while I
think the
> beetles used a different grip which was somewhat skimpier and cut
straight.
> VW switched to the "cheaper" grip for 73 type 3s, but your 34 should have
> the nice type 3 one.
>
> -
> Jim Adney
> jadney@vwtype3.org