Re: [T3] Oil leak mystery

On 22 Jan 2002, at 11:01, Andrew Davidson wrote:

> From: "Jim Adney" <jadney@vwtype3.org>

> > On 23 Jan 2002, at 13:30, Dave Campen wrote:

> > > You could remove the air intake bellows and spray "Gunk" (or whatever
> your > > favourite engine degreaser is) through the vanes of the pulley,
> trying to > > spread it round as much as possible. Then just hose out and let
> it dry.

> > Now I don't know what to think, but I don't think I'd be willing to do
> this. The > problem is that the Gunk would just flush the dirt out of one
> location and > deposit it in another. If it lands in my driveway, well that's
> pretty simple, but if > it builds up in the generator and on the face of the
> oil cooler, then I'm not > sure I'd be happy with the result.

> Could I loosen the generator and then insert a shield temporarily between it and
> the fan housing whilst I carry out the flushing?
> At the same time disconnect the elbows which lead from the fan housing to
> the heating system ? (One has a perforated rubber hose anyway)
> then spray away, as suggested.

These sound like quite reasonable ways to get around these objections. You
should not start with a hot engine, or the thermal shock might be hard on
some parts.

> I think the oil cooler probably has plenty of mess on it already (maybe the
> generator also, although at least gravity would top the bigger ones going in).
> However I could spray in from under the car and thoroughly drench it (with the
> engine off) in order to flush it out as well.

I never thought of trying to "backflush" the oil cooler this way. It might
actually have some merit.

> BTW what is the purpose of the thin "fresh air pipe" which runs from the
> elbow to the "warm air mixer"? I just noticed it in the bentley.

The fresh air and heated air meet in a chamber where the cool fresh air is
mixed in with the heated air by a thermostatically controlled valve. This limits
the temp of the air getting into the car, while increasing the total volume of air
supplied.