Re: [T3] Oil leak mistry

<x-charset iso-8859-1>
----- Original Message -----
From: "Jim Adney" <jadney@vwtype3.org>
To: "type3" <type3@vwtype3.org>
Sent: Wednesday, January 23, 2002 8:59 AM
Subject: Re: [T3] Oil leak mistry

> On 21 Jan 2002, at 22:06, phil cain wrote:
>
> > Don't forget that there are two bolts behind the air
> > turbine that go into the oil breather, this makes it a
> > little hard to get off.
>
> Oops! Thanks, Phil. I keep forgetting those. That makes this job just
about
> impossible without doing major disassembly. I always clean mine out
> carefully in the course of a rebuild.

The breather was completely full of gunk so i cleaned it out as well as
possible and then used a paperclip to get up under the lip and clean out the
junk that was blocking it. It has stopped all the oil leak problems and now
all I have to do is work out how to get all the oil out from around the fan.
I was going to remove the breather to really clean it but that sounds a bit
tricky-are there bolts which are inaccessible without removing the fan
housing ? (which i understand you can't remove without removing the exhaust)

andrew