Re: [T3] AT questions...suggestions

<x-charset iso-8859-1>Hi,

> I find myself wondering if you have a problem like Gregs, where there the
> arm, that is welded to the shaft that goes into the AT to select the
> gear,actually has a broken weld. This makes the shifting unpredictable,
and
> dependent on the direction you come into a give gear from.

I very much doubt that this is the problem. In the car's present state, I
can go up and down the gears in a perfectly predictable manner, just offset
by one. I think it just needs a bit more work on the adjustment.

These things take time the first time you do them. Reading Bentley is one
thing, actually being under the car and confronted by the actual parts,
which don't always look exactly the same as they do in the manual after all
these years, is quite another. Someone should bring out a new edition of
Bentley, updated for working on a 30 yearold car rather than a gleaming,
brand-new one like in the pictures.

> > One more thing. To put the old one into park, you had to lift the lever,
but
> > with the new one you don't. I can't see any difference between them. How
> > does this work?
>
> I have actually never looked at this closely, since I've never seen one
that
> didn't work. Is it possible that you didn't get everything reassembled
> correctly?

Anything's possible.

Regards,

Daniel Baum