Re: [T3] determining align-boring

On 22 Jan 2002, at 17:00, Christopher Sheridan wrote:

> when planning to rebuild, strip the case of everything, split it, then clean the
> mating surfaces. Bolt it back together empty to specified torque, then use an
> Internal dial bore guage to measure the Internal Diameters of each crank journal
> at several points around the clock.

This certainly works, but there is a much simpler way, with no investment in
special tools:

Just run your finger across the saddle where the bearing was removed. If you
can feel any kind of height difference where the oil passage on the OD of the
bearing DIDN'T push out the case material, then the size has clearly
changed and you need to bore the bearing tunnel. You may need to carefully
scrape off oil deposits from the saddle with a razor blade first, but don't
remove any metal.

In general, the # 2 bearing will be the worst, so that's the only one you really
have to check.

I tend to be pretty conservative on this and just have RIMCO do an align bore
and install case savers in every engine I rebuild.