Re: [T3] speedometer interchangability

Garret Trask wrote:

> My speedometer started making a loud squealing noise.  It did continue to
> work, though.  I disconnected the cable so I wouldn't have to listen to the
> noise any more, which was driving me nuts.
>

> What do you think?
>
> Garret Trask

I have experienced the same squealing noise with a Beetle and
a couple of Type3s and with my current Type4.

The squealing came from the speedo cable.  It seems that
was running dry and needed lubrication. I disconnected the
cable from the speedometer and squirted some engine oil
down the speedo cable conduit.  Then, I reconnected the
cable to the speedometer.  This fixed the problem.

Simon Glen
Toowoomba, Australia
1964 Type3 notchback
1969 Type4 four-door