Re: [T3] AT questions...suggestions

<x-charset windows-1255>Hi all,

On the subject of linkage adjustment:

This weekend a friend of mine and I replaced my 1969 automatic Type 34's
gear shifter, as my original one was broken.

During this process the cable got out of adjustment. We messed with it -
following Bentley's instructions - but the best we could do was get it
offset by one gear. In other words when the lever is on 3 the car is in
neutral etc.

We didn't replace the entire shifter assembly, but just the rod itself. I
originally wanted to replace the whole thing but frankly couldn't work out
how to remove it from the cable. So we disassembled the shifter assembly,
and transferred parts from the new one to the old one.

It seems to me that what we need to do now is disconnect the cable at the
tranny, move the shifter to the right position, and then reconnect the
cable, without allowing the lever on the tranny to move. We do at least know
now what gear the tranny is in, so we can put it in a known state, and then
move the shifter to correspond with it.

Like everything else, I have a feeling this may be easier said than done.
Does anyone have any tips?

One more thing. To put the old one into park, you had to lift the lever, but
with the new one you don't. I can't see any difference between them. How
does this work?

You can see pictures of the car in various stages of restoration, and the
new gear lever at http://photos.yahoo.com/dbaum0000.

Regards,

Daniel Baum
'69 Type 34 automatic