[T3] Idle mixture adjustment

<x-charset iso-8859-1>
Hi Listees,
In my Haynes manual and in the VW "Look Listen and do it Better" leaflet,
(and I've heard it elsewhere) it says that I should wind the idle mixture
screw out 1.5 turns, then screw it in until the revs drop, then back it out
till the engine runs good again , then back it out a further 1/4 to 1/2
turns for perfect mixture control. On my carbs the engine won't run right
until the screws are turned out 2.5- 3.5 turns! Is this an indication that I
have very warn and leaky throttle body/shaft? or is it possible that the
later carbs had a finer screw that just needs more turns? Should I worry? I
am still getting pretty lousy MPG despite the engine running a lot smoother
and healthier. What do other people get in town driving. I am lucky to get
20mp(UK)g which seems pretty bad. Haven't been on any long motorway drives
yet to check the mileage without constant stop-starting. Maybe I should.
Thanks

Mark Seaton
Orange '73 1600TA London

</x-charset>