Re: [T3] Oil leak mystery

On 20 Jan 2002, at 10:55, Andrew Davidson wrote:

> MT-should have mentioned that.

Okay, that eliminates one possibility.

> > Might this be a FI engine which was converted to carbs and the vent
> > ignored?

> Has always been carbs, but it has a breather vent anyway, with one pipe
> running down for oil to drip out and a hose connecting to the air intake.
> The engine has 138,000miles with no work done ever, and it has serious
> blowby, even though the compression is still good (110-115) and it runs very
> well. The hose connecting the breather to the air intake duct was just replaced
> at exactly the same time that the serious oil problems began. The cap on top of
> the breather has been wired down. The pipe for the oil to drip from could be
> completely blocked for all i know. Can I remove the breather assembly for
> cleaning? What's with the wire holding the cap on? Is that part of the problem?

The caps tend to come loose if they've been abused too many times, so they
may need some help staying in place, but that's not part of your problem.
"Serious blowby" might be the problem, but you should get someone who
knows how much is normal to look at it and tell you how bad yours really is.
Make sure your hose is open; blow thru it and verify that everything is clear.