Re:[T3] engine swap

<x-charset iso-8859-1>what if you had a type 3 with automatic transmission, but had a type 1
manual
tranny engine....how hard and what would you have to do to put the manual
type 1 engine in the automatic tranny type 3?

Well, to just swap the manual engine to a auto tranny car, you would
first remove the flywheel, cover the crank hole with toilet paper
(yeah I know ) then Grind that notch hole, that we were talking about,
then clean it up , place the right amount of shims for the correct thrust
clearance between the crank, flexplate and case as per the VW specs
and finally install the flexplate with the correct, I repeat,
with the correct glandnut or you will be very very sorry as I was.

I have gone thru 3 cracked flexplates and two cracked torque converters
because of this, not much fun pulling your engine in and out very often.
One incident was at the Disneyland parking lot, lots of blue smoke and
puddles, not to mention a case of tranny oil to get home to San Diego.

Do not get! and I repeat Do not get auto stick glandnuts I used them twice
thinking the flexplate was defective and after 5000 miles pieces of plate
was
clanking about with a broken rod sound. These glandnuts have the hole way
to big and are too shallow. My other self infliction was using those thick
performance nuts, again more noise, puddles and a cracked converter.

Use a standard manual gland nut without the bearing (take the bearing out)
or use the right auto tranny glandnut that looks just like the stock manual
one
without the bearing, do not get the one that is thin with a tapered hole.
If you are not sure about your gland nut, make sure that it fits snug , not
really loose (sloppy) or not to tight (may need micro filing) , over the
little coverter shaft that sticks out of the engine side. The gland nut must
not be so
thick that the flexplate does not meet the torque converter when you bolt it

to the engine (bolt the converter to the engine as a test assemble to make
sure everything is right and not fall apart later). Place washers below  the

converter bolts (not between converter and flexplate) to spread the tension
or you may crack the flexplate.

This is comming from a paranoid seasond veteran of many mishaps.
Right parts, good proceedures and careful work will give reliablity.

Another note; replace tranny fluid every 6 mo to a year and place some
small speaker magnets in the oil pan . Also replace your gl-5 in your diff
every couple of years and your tranny  should last another 30 years as mine
is (knock on wood ) .

LEON MARTINEZ

1969 SQUAREBACK EFI/AUTO
SAN DIEGO AND TIJUANA