[T3] Empi engine..was Back from Germany!

Jim Adney wrote:
>>The single port heads are much more restrictive and you will feel the
>>difference long before you get to 5000 RPM. The engine will certainly do the
>>same RPM, but it just won't have any power getting there. No matter how
>>you look at it, the cylinders can't fill as well when they're sucking thru a >>long straw. There are certainly a few nice parts here, but the heads and carb
>>make much of it pointless.

This is an old debate that goes deeper than just the VW world and will
probably never go away.  Was it 1966 or 1967 that the factory went to
dual ports and dual carbs and the horsepower went up about 5hp?  But
what else changed?  See, everything needs to match (heads, cam,
induction, etc..) to be more effecient therefore gaining hp.  When I
was into the old chevys, there were alot of guys putting big port
heads on small engines that never saw the bright side of 6,000rpm and
wondering why it felt sluggish.  Port velocity has alot to do with
effeciency.  My point in my email was a normal 1965 motor with single
port and single side draft was fine for the intention it was built
for.  By increasing the displacement by only 6%, but improving the
cam, would infact improve the power of the whole package.  Granted,
this engine will run out of breath at upper rpms, but more than likely
still made power where the stock cam may have fallen off.
Suck water lightly through a big straw and you will need to suck
longer.  Suck waster lightly through a little straw and you will be
fine.  Suck really hard and the big straw wins.  Little suckers
(stock) only need little straws, but the big suckers (strokers,big
cam,big pistons) need big straws.

>>BTW, most people don't realize that the biggest real advantage of the roller
>>crank is that it will survive running "dry" for longer than a standard journal
>>bearing crank. The main bearings of both are the same: standard journals,
>>but it's the rod bearings, which get oil last if you power up after a corner
>>which left your oil pump sucking air for a few seconds. A few seconds of no
>>oil to the rod big ends at full throttle can make a difference.

Agreed.  The roller cranks are a mood point.  Just a great vintage
darkside piece.  If roller cranks are "the ticket", they would be in
every race car nowdays, especially with the advances in technology
since the 60's.  There are several disadvantages, but once again, this
is not an all out race engine, just a "hot" street setup.

I don't see this engine being a 150hp killer.  I see it as being a
nice package with 10-20hp more than the factory '64 or '65 1500.
There wasn't ever a 1600 single port single side draft was there?

Brian Schlepp
69 fasty