Re: [T3] Running on 1 cylinder? Still...

In a message dated 1/14/02 7:31:30 PM Central Standard Time,
jadney@vwtype3.org writes:

<< On 14 Jan 2002, at 18:52, Wuzmop@aol.com wrote:

 > In a message dated 1/14/02 9:43:59 AM Central Standard Time,
 > jadney@vwtype3.org writes:
 >
 > << type3@vwtype3.org >>
 > 3          2
 >     ( + )
 > 4          1
 >
 > Does this look like how your cap is wired?
 > Actually it is like this: 4   1
 >                                 3   2

 This is at least most of your problem. The dist runs CW and the firing order
 is 1432. The way your dist is wired it is set up for 1234, so 2 & 4 have no
 chance to fire. I agree that 3 is already in the right place, but there may
be a
 separate problem with 3. Here's what you should do:

>>>The #2 is the only one that affects the idle (car stalls)when I take the
wire off

 Rewire the dist cap 1432. Check the dist cap for spark tracks inside and
out.
 Clean it carefully with a rag.

>>>Did this, the cap had some black marks, so I used the good cap off my ghia.

 Time the engine either with a timing light or statically.

>>>Done,statically, I also removed and cleaned the plugs. Turned the engine
over a few times without the plugs in or injectors plugged in to try to blow
some crap out. The plugs were not looking fouled,just wet with fuel. Also
checked again for spark and they are firing

 Start the engine.

>>>Won't start. However,it will start if I reverse the 2 & 4

with the plug wires in the right order.

the upper right position when looking down on it. The shaft alignment has got
to be ok, because the dizzy would not fit any other way.>>>>The dizzy that I
found in the back seat,if installed would have the #1 in the lower left
position. The one in the car is bosch part #011,vw #205 H.The one in the back
seat is bosch #027,vw #205 AG,could this be the deal?

 Unplug the FI connector to cyl 2 until you hear the engine speed up slightly
 and then start to slow down then plug #2 back in. Repeat with the #4
injector
 connector.

 Disconnect the #3 FI connector and try the same thing with it. If it doesn't
do
 anything take the car for a drive with the FI connector disconnected and
then
 stop and connect it. Drive up to 35 mph and take your foot off the gas and
let
 the engine slow the car back down to 20 mph and then see if it will drive
 normally.

 If none of this works, try replacing the plugs and do it again.

 What you're trying to do here is blow out all the unburned gas that is
flooding
 cylinders 234. You do this by depriving them of gas for awhile and allowing
 them to blow themselves clear. If this doesn't work then you may need to
 replace the plugs because they might be fouled from the gas.

 If it's not the plugs then there may some problem with the SP connectors or
 the wires that is allowing the spark to drain off by a route that bypasses
the
 spark plugs. Inspect all those parts.