Re: [T3] Square question

On 15 Jan 2002, at 7:52, Clint Tredway wrote:

> I have a '67 square that I bought almost 2yrs ago.
>
> It has an IRS tranny, but I thought 67s came with swing axle
> tranny's. The reason I ask is that my tranny does not have a cradle
> to hold it. The tranny bolts to the pan and then to the engine.

A 67 would have been a swing axle, but it could have been converted OR you
might actually have a later car, possibly a 69. The third digit of your chassis
# will be a 7 if the car is a 67; a 67 square would be a 367 xxx xxx.

> My question(s): Should there be a cradle to hold the tranny & Should
> the car have a swing axle tranny.

The 67 rear subframe would have had a set of arms which came out and
supported the rear of the tranny. The front of the tranny bolts to the subframe
in both versions.

> Also, does anyone know how to seal the air vents in front of the
> windshield so that when it rains it does not leak into the interior?

Water leaks here are common and usually easy to fix. You probably don't
need to seal anything, you just need to clear the water drain hoses which
carry the water out of the car. In your 67 there will be 2 ~1"  OD black rubber
hoses that you can see coming down under the dash. You should pull them
out and clean them out and reinstall them.

There is some chance that standing water has rusted thru something, but
you should try for the simple fix first, as it needs to be done anyway.

-
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org
Madison, WI 53711-3054