Re: Squareback, Fastback, and Notchback

Scott Taylor wrote:

> I'm interested to know more about how the names Squareback, Fastback,
> and particularly Notchback came to be. Were they generic terms that VW
> used internally or did they originate in the US?

I have replied to Scott as follows but with several pictures as
attachments which are not in this list message.  If by chance,
anybody else would like to see the attachments (pictures from
sales brochures and advertisements) please ask me and I will
gladly send them.

Dear Scott,

I too would be interested to know where these notchback,
fastback and squareback terms came from.  So, I've delved
further into the matter, checking out some of my old brochures
and adverts.

I used to think it was simply that the term "Suareback" came
from VWofAmerica because of the Chrysler Valiant situation
and because from around 1961 VWofAmerica had already
started calling the Type2 a "Station Wagon".  Thus, both
"Variant" and "Station Wagon" were ruled out for the USA.

So, with the Valiant also built and sold in Australia, when the
Type36 was released in Australia during 1963 it was marketed
not as a "station wagon" but a "Squareback".  The Type2 was
sold as a "Microbus".  Yet, although in Australia there was no
need to deprive the Type36 of being a "station wagon", the
"Squareback" term was used.  (See Attachment 1: a 1967
Australian brochure)

The situation in South Africa was the same as in Australia, with
the Valiant also popular and the Type2 sold as a "Microbus".
But, VWofSA marketed the Type36 as all three: "Station wagon",
"Squareback" and "Variant".  (See Attachment 2: a South African
advertisement of 1964 which uses "Station wagon" and "Variant'.)

In France, where the Valiant was NOT a hot seller and the Type2
was sold as either a "fourgonette" or a "Bus", VWFrance chose
to sell the Type36 sometimes as a "break" burt more commonly
as the "VW Familialle".  (See Attachment 3: a 1965 advertisement.)

With regard to Tax Free "Tourist Delivery" in Germany, I have
two brochures from 1969 which refer to the Type36 as a "Variant".
(See Attachments 4 and 5).  In Attachment 5 the picture clearly
shows a North American specification Type36 but describes it as
a "Variant".

When it comes to the term "notchback" I really thought it was just
a more recent popular VW enthusiasts' nick-name until I saw this
page in a 1969 brochure (see Attachment 6) which clearly refers to
a "1600 Notchback".  The brochure was printed in Germany but
intended for the wider world outside Germany (because it is in
English), outside of USA and Britain where the notchback was not
sold and outside Australia and South Africa where VW ran their
own local marketing.

I notice, too, that in Australia, by 1970 the notchback was being
marketed not as the notchback but as the "regular sedan" along
with the "fastback" and "squareback".  (See Attachment 7.)

So, generally, I am also quite puzzled by the terminology and would
be very interested in other views.

Simon Glen
Toowoomba, Australia.