Re: [T3] Nadine was born RHD with Sunroof

On 10 Jan 2002, at 1:45, veedub@apartment101.com wrote:

> I guess it was also quite a concidence, too, that my chassis number begins
> 318... just like the model number, huh? :)

Well, it really isn't a coincidence. ALL type 3 VINs and model numbers start
with 3, for the obvious reason. The second digit of the VIN tells you
something about the body style: 1 for notchs and fastys, 4 for Ghias, 6 for
squares. The 3rd digit is the model year.

If VW had thought to add a single digit to the VIN they could have coded all
the info in both the model # AND the VIN prefix into those first 4 digits. Then
they wouldn't have needed a separate model number. They could also have
gotten rid of the confusion brought about by both notches and fastys starting
out as 31....

As good as they were at making cars, sometimes you just gotta wonder
what they were thinking.