Re: RE: [T3] Dash pad transferable?

I want as close to original as possible which means, it appears:

1- I don't think the aftermarket will work as well, as they are not specific to model years (from what I see and hear on T3) and the manufacturers even say they are not an "EXACT duplicate" in the ads I've seen.

2- I did see one on ebay (71, I think) with a cracked speaker area only, and it appeared to me that this could be swapped out for mine (which is fine), but I didn't ask the question at the time. and not being ABSOLUTELY sure, did not bid.  It sold reasonably. I should of asked the question earlier.

3- The originals for other years won't work as well.

4- I would also be somewhat concerned about what had molded after 30 years. I would think that any replacement of the dash pad should be done with the room or ambient temperature up pretty high, and with the new pad and car sitting in this enviornment for sometime.

Is this pretty accurate?

jim

On 9 Jan 2002, at 12:38, Shirley, James J CDR (CNSP N4341) wrote:

> This is interesting, after market manufactures sell a dash pad for the 1964 to
> 1973 type 3. ..<delete>.

I would imagine the newer 1970-73 dash
> pad was some what thinner (save production costs), but still cracked in about
> the same place.

Jim Adney wrote:

I'm not sure about the early years, but I think there were actually 3 or 4

71-3 have a separate grill/insert over the speaker. 67(?)-70 have small
perforations in a diamond pattern with an unperforaple do, but
it's not an exact fit, and it comes with compromises.

-
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org
Madison, WI 53711-3054