Re: [T3] Rear suspension bump stop ?

<x-charset iso-8859-1>Hi Matt,
My fastback has the same problem but on BOTH sides- it passed the MOT
though. I was planning on fixing these when it warms up a bit and had the
idea of welding a large stocky bolt (M12 or so) into the centre of the
cupped area. I've heard Jim suggest that this is not a good area to weld
because of plastic bits nearby that could melt but I reckon if you're quick
with 3 large tacks and cool the area quick with water it should be OK. I
think it needs a sort of mushroom shape so a 20mm long stout bolt should do.
If you don't like to weld you could probably drill and tap into the support
plate and then just screw the bolt in and push the bump stop on. You might
be best experimenting with different sized/length bolts in a vice first to
get the best fit.
Just an idea, and good luck.
Mark Seaton
Orange 72/73 Carbed Fastback, London