Re [T3] Ignition wire resistance rate? Follow up

<x-charset iso-8859-1>On Jan 4, 2002 Jim Adney replied:
On 4 Jan 2002, at 8:26, Roush, Norman wrote:
 > My stock 68 Squareback started running on 3 cylinders this morning.
When I pulled the ignition wire from the #2 cylinder the drop in RPMs
was much less than the drop for the other three cylinders. I'm going to
check for:
 1) Bad ignition wire to #2
 2) Bad spark plug
 Check for broken/cracked/open circuit SP connector
 3) Bad ground
 Check the FI injector ground wires on that side.
4) Valve adjustment
 5) Bad, dirty injector
 Bad injector electrical connection.
6) Compression
7) Anything else?
 Check the dist cap for dirt/spark tracks/moisture inside and out. >
What is the expected resistance value for ignition wires. Assuming you
have the normal VW/Bosch wires, all the resistance is in the brown
phenolic SP connector itself. These actually screw into the SP wire and
have ~1000 Ohms resistance. They occasionally go open and can be
individually replaced. They are cheap and any shop that works on VWs
will have these in stock. I usually grab them by the hands full at the
junk yard. They are fine as long as they don't measure open and aren't
cracked. I find that the stock Bosch parts are very good quality and
never let me down like lots of aftermarket parts tend to do. For example
I have never had a Bosch capacitor or dist cap that failed other than
thru mechanical abuse.
Jim Adney, jadney@vwtype3.org Madison, Wisconsin, USA

This is a follow up:  Items 1, 2, 3, 4, and 6 were OK.  The problem was
Item #5.  The wires to the two prong injector plug had broken and the
breaks were hidden in the pull-on rubber cover.  I was able to get some
of the pins locally and after re-crimping the new pins and adding a drop
of solder for a sense of security all is well again.  The insulation on
these two wires is really brittle which is not unexpected considering
they're some 34 years old!  I have learned that this FI harness needs to
be handled very carefully.
Norman