[T3] Fastback Progress <a bit long>

<x-charset iso-8859-1>Thank you to all that are offering advice and help. It is much appreciated.
At one listmembers suggestion I also disconnected the fuel line heading into
the CSI, not just the mpc. and plugged it up. The engine immediately had a
great high idle, then I realized that I needed to plug up the CSI end as
well, which I then did, the idle returned to it's lower missing state. Would
all CSI with no fuel hose on them suck vacuum like that, or just leaky ones?

So with that disconnected and plugged, I tried to readjust the idle but
found the same inability. Got it to idle at 950 roughly only with the idle
screw all the way out where I could wiggle it with my hand. Not so much
good. So I screwed it back down and settle for toggling between 950 and 1050
(at the higher end the engine is making a sort of muffled grinding sound
which corresponds to the moments the rpms move over 1000, this is a clue,
but I don't have the solution)

I run the motor and pull each SPwire off the cap one at a time and each one
causes a noticeable drop in RPM. I then pull one day old plug out and its
not black, in fact it looks hardly used, more of the color of the stuff they
coat heads with when you get them back from the rebuilder, so those look
okay I don't change them. Check the dwell -tonight its a steady 47 degrees,
needle barely moves at high rpms. Check the voltage at the coil its 13.7.

Recheck the timing and I'm 5 degrees retarded. A bit metaphoric, but
suprising nonetheless, I dial it back into 0 degrees, then go back and try
adjusting the idle...at 950, it still jumps over 1000 with that grinding
rubbing noise, at 900 it only moves between 850 and 950 and is still uneven
and missing but the miss is less noticeable and I test drive it and it has
improved - a bit more peppy, but the miss is still there.

Jim the chassis number on this fastback starts with 3102 and I think its a
70, but was suprised when I discovered the engine code is for a 1972 type 3.
The distributor is either for a 70 or 72 I'm not sure which one I have in
there. when I turn the key first I hear something turn on humming then as I
keep turning I hear one definitive click. I'm not sure if this is 2 clicks
or one, but I wouldn't be suprised if the wires on the starter are wrong -
there are at least 2 wires plugged to the solenoid though I haven't looked
too closely at them lately.

Left on the table is a suggestion to turn the fuel pressure back up a bit
from 28 to avoid vapor lock - say to 30...I certainly don't want vapor lock.
Another suggestion to swap out the pressure switch.

both of these things I'll happily do though I don't know if my spare
pressure switch is any good either. Plus I already switched it once and my
spare is on there. Well that's all the whining I can handle for tonight.
Thanks again for your suggestions, I'm seriously considering starting Muir's
FI troubleshooting sequence but....not yet.

-Chris
70 fastback
72 bus