Re: [T3] Compression Test Results on Nadine

<x-charset iso-8859-1>> You've obviously done a good job here as your numbers are quite
> consistent. Your dry pressures were fine, so there was really no
> reason to do the wet ones, since the wet test is only to try to pin
> down the cause of a low pressure cylinder.

Thanks for the compliment (for doing a good job). Since this is only my
third VW rebuild, I'm still building confidence and every bit helps.

> Sorry, I don't remember whether you have FI or carbs, but if this is
> carbs then I'd take apart the left one and look for a reason why that
> side was running rich.

It carbureted with stock Solex 32 PDSIT's.  Sometimes my right choke has
been sticking, so I may opt to "disconnect" the chokes for a few days and
see how she runs.  When I say disconnect, I obviously mean turning the
chokes until the butterfly stays engaged (open).  The carbs were recently
rebuilt, so I'm still not going to discount the possibility of bad needle
valves, vacuum leaks or a worn idle screw.

Speaking of idle screws, how far is "too far in" for the preliminary
adjustment?  i.e.  is it safe to turn in the idle mixture screw until the
spring is completely collapsed, or is that too far?

And are those metal intake manifold gaskets any good or should I opt for
rubber gaskets?  (I prefer the rubber ones).

Jason
68 Notch