Re: Auto Tranny Fluid

On 4 Jan 2002, at 17:46, Timothy Fink wrote:

> I don't have the Bentley manual.  I do have an ATSG Manual on the 003
> and 010 automatic transmissions.  It shows the siphon method for
> draining the torque converter.  I was curious if anyone had developed
> their own method.

I'm not familiar with this manual. What does ATSG stand for? The
syphon method is the only one I'm familiar with, and I think that is
stated as only necessary if the bands have been burned and the
fluid is contaminated.

> The car is a 1969 Fasty.

> It didn't run when he bought it.  The previous owners didn't know
> anything about the car as they bought it for a project.  Story was
> that the tranny was not working.  The car even came with another
> tranny.  We don't know if either transmission works.  I have nothing
> to lose by tearing it down and rebuilding it.  I bought the brake
> bands, clutch disks, seals, and Manual for ~$80 from
> http://www.bulkparts.com/.

Oh, I'll go there and look for the manual. Nice site. Good prices. I'll
bookmark them.

> I spent a few days cleaning the 30+ years of gook off the exterior of
> the tranny before I started to tear it down.  I have a feeling that it
> may have been something simple like incorrect fluid level, or brake
> bands that needed adjusting.  The inside of the transmission is clean.
>  The fluid is not burned or contaminated with gear oil.  One strange
> thing that I did find, the oil filter on the bottom of the valve body
> was ripped.  I don't believe any sections of it are missing.  I will
> investigate that further.  I have not opened the final drive yet.  I
> may find other bad things there.  I plan to clean the final drive
> unit, but not tear it down completely.

Sometimes it is the final drive that fails when it leaks out all its GL-
5 and runs dry. This is a problem because few people realize that
there is a separate fluid level to check.

There were also early and late torque converters. The early ones
were only used for about a year, but most of the 69s came with
them. These had fewer fins, cooled more poorly, and SOME range
of them had bad welds that sometimes cracked. It would be best to
make sure you have a late one. This should be covered in your
manual; it is covered in the Bentley.

>  I also has the 30+ years of gook to be cleaned off.
> It's no wonder the poor little car stopped working.

Sounds like it found a good owner at last. Good luck with it and
keep us posted on what you find in the AT and final drive.