Re: [T3] Ignition wire resistance rate?

On 4 Jan 2002, at 8:26, Roush, Norman wrote:

> My stock 68 Squareback started running on 3 cylinders this morning.
> When I pulled the ignition wire from the #2 cylinder the drop in RPMs
> was much less than the drop for the other three cylinders.  I'm going
> to check for:
>
> 1) Bad ignition wire to #2
> 2) Bad spark plug

Check for broken/cracked/open circuit SP connector

> 3) Bad ground

Check the FI injector ground wires on that side.

> 4) Valve adjustment
> 5) Bad, dirty injector

Bad injector electrical connection.

> 6) Compression
> 7) Anything else?

Check the dist cap for dirt/spark tracks/moisture inside and out.

> What is the expected resistance value for ignition wires.

Assuming you have the normal VW/Bosch wires, all the resistance
is in the brown phenolic SP connector itself. These actually screw
into the SP wire and have ~1000 Ohms resistance. They
occasionally go open and can be individually replaced. They are
cheap and any shop that works on VWs will have these in stock. I
usually grab them by the hands full at the junk yard. They are fine
as long as they don't measure open and aren't cracked.

I find that the stock Bosch parts are very good quality and never let
me down like lots of aftermarket parts tend to do. For example I
have never had a Bosch capacitor or dist cap that failed other than
thru mechanical abuse.