Re: [T3] IRS wheel bearing replacement ?

<x-charset iso-8859-1>You should be able to feel some rocking movement on the wheel if the bearing
is failing, and very likely feel some roughness as you turn it (not as
obvious as front due to transmission drag, but with the drive shaft CV off
it might be easier to feel).
I did this maybe 4 years ago (at around 60,000 miles!) - replaced a worn one
with a good used one.  I didn't press any rubber bushes out (didn't even
know they were there until I read Bentley just now!) - removed hub nut and
drum (are you OK to undo the big nut!), removed the CV, then drive shaft,
rear oil seal, undid big internal C-clip, tapped out inner bearing and
removed spacer and outer bearing.  I don't recall anything being complicated
if you have the circlip pliers and the hub-nut 3/4" socket and long breaker
bar.

Dave.
UK VW Type 3 & 4 Club
http://www.hallvw.clara.co.uk/